Saturday 21 June 2014

My thoughts on breastfeeding

Now I want to start this post saying I am not a medical expert I am just a mum that has been very lucky that I have been able to breastfeed all my four children. I am still feeding my fourth child :-)

There have been times when I have struggled through low supply there have been times when I have expressed, times when I have had to mix feed, and I have been lucky to have had support from my family to breastfeed.

I understand their are some people who medically can't breastfeed and I have family and friends in that boat, there is no shame, no condemnation. I understand their are people that do not want to breastfeed. Once again there is no shame, no condemnation from me. I am writing this purely for the mums that want to read about my experience breast feeding.

I was very lucky that before I had children myself I grew up with people around me that BF there children, they were not embarrassed to talk around me about any struggles they had, I remember seeing photos of my mum feeding, but also she wasn't embarrassed to talk about having to change my twin sister and I onto Goats milk at six months old.

I remember people telling me that whilst it's a natural thing it isn't always a natural thing. 

When my first was born (almost nine years ago) I never doubted that I wanted to BF. I went to all the classes and was extremely happy when my daughter fed straight after birth. What I didn't expect was the discomfort (pain) that you can experience in the first few days. People talk about a bad latch, engorgement and until it hits you, you really do have no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment